Do you aspire to become a crochet designer? Last week we shared a Call for Crochet Design Submissions for our Winter 2021 collections. This week, we are sharing some tips and tricks for submitting your design proposals! Read on for resources on how to create a winning design proposal.
If becoming a crochet designer (or designing for WeCrochet) is on your bucket list, we would LOVE to help make that happen! But how do you do it?
The WeCrochet Design Process:
Well, it’s a bit of a process, but before you design for us, you have to submit a design proposal! The beginning part of the process looks a little like this:
- See the WeCrochet call for design submissions.
- Submit a design proposal (NOT the full pattern)
- Wait to see if your design is accepted.
- If your design is accepted, then sign a contract.
- Receive yarn support from WeCrochet and write your pattern by the deadline.
- WeCrochet hires a tester to make your pattern. You answer questions and make pattern tweaks as needed.
Tons of Tips for Creating a Design Proposal:
Chrisandra Skipper of And She Laughs is one of the designers we frequently work with, and she has been posting all kinds of helpful information for designers who want to work with us. Here’s her IGTV segment about her process of coming up with design proposals:
Chrisandra also wrote a blog post about her design proposal process with tons of tips for success, so be sure to go check that out. Chrisandra’s design proposals are some of the best-looking proposals we receive, so feel free to follow her lead when constructing your own proposals! Her tips are so good!
In her blog post, she also shares actual design proposals she’s submitted (and we’ve selected) and how the final product turned out! Click the photo above to see more examples in her post.
We got so excited about Chrisandra’s tips and tricks (and willingness to help fellow crocheters become designers), that we did a little interview with her sharing some insider information about what we’re looking for in design proposals. So go check that one out too!
Ruth Nguyen’s Tips for Designers:
Ruth Nguyen, another designer we love working with, and who has worked with multiple brands in both crochet and knitting, has also written a series on writing design proposals on her blog Red Earth Design Studio, so please check these out too:
- Designer Tip #1: How to put together a professional design proposal
- Designer Tip #2: Don’t be a Diva
- Designer Tip #3: Have a Backup Plan
- Designer Tip #4: Watch those Swatches
Other Crochet Design Resources:
Still want more? Here are some other resources to help you on your journey of becoming a crochet designer:
- WeCrochet Podcast: How to Become a Crochet Designer on the Bonus Bonus Bonus episode of the WeCrochet Podcast.
- The Designers group on Ravelry has a master list of resources for designers covering design, copyright, writing patterns, and more: VIP Info for Designers
Crochet Designers (and aspiring designers): The deadline for Winter 2021 submissions is January 27, 2021, so go check out the call and please submit your design proposals!
Have questions? Feel free to drop them in the comments!